Have you had problems with Facebook Pages and events? How about just straight up problems with Facebook Pages?
Yea – the magic thinkers at Facebook have decided to make things challenging once again for Pages (now why would they want to drive businesses and organizations away from Facebook and into the hopefully soon to be willing arms of Google+?, I ask you). We have received numerous complaints via twitter over problems and issues using Facebook Pages.
Problems with Facebook events seemed to be a recurring theme:
- @barbchamberlain @DesignSpikeUSA Not sure what is going on, but not letting a business create events…? Something is not right.
- @fsaspokane @DesignSpikeUSA@jamiemorgancda Just ran into that lost Create Event feature on Pages. What’s up at FB?!
- @DesignSpikeUSA @barbchamberlain#FacebookNotHelpfulCHanges Also noticed I can’t respond to messages sent to me from a biz page either
- “@DesignSpikeUSA: ok is it just me or can you no longer click “Attending event” as a Page on FB? #FacebookNotHelpfulCHanges@barbchamberlain
- FB won’t let me tag an event in my profile that I created on my business page. Ongoing tagging strangeness! @DesignSpikeUSA
Yes, Viriginia, things have changed in Facebook land and until someone else comes up with a better solution, I am going to stick with my pain in the arse manipulation to get the job done.
So let’s talk about how to a) create events on Facebook as a Page, b) tag them, c) attend them, and d) notify your followers.
- If you do not see the events tab on the left hand side of your FB page, you simply need to add the app back. Yes, I know, it is a pain in your tushie, but stop whining and just add it.
- Click edit page (look in the upper right corner of your screen for the button).
- Click Apps
- Scroll down to events
- Click Edit Settings
- Click Add and Okay
- Now let’s create an event – you do see the events tab in the left hand tab listing of your Facebook page, right? Create your event (this part is old school, you know how to do it). Now here is the difference: If you are logged on as the page rather than yourself, you will see a window telling you that you are using Facebook as XXXXX Page and need to switch to using Facebook as yourself. Click the continue as button (note: you must have checked the magic box to always comment and post on your Page as your Page). Yes, THIS IS A HUGE PAIN, I know.). Create your event.
- At this point, I suggest you click the “update Fans of XXXX Page” in the upper right hand corner. You are now emailing your followers directly as opposed to having the event come through via their stream. Send the update.
- Click that you are ATTENDING the event. Invite whoever you wish to invite. The invitations will come from you not from the Page. (Yes, it sucks, but again, we either work with what we have right now and ask for a fix or we don’t create events.)
- Tag at will. Let me know if you need further clarification on tagging.
Now you know how to create an event despite FB changes. If anyone else knows of a real fix rather than a workaround, let me know. I would appreciate it.
Questions? Answers? I love ’em all.